Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cross Training

Being abroad has been amazing so far, however it is going to take a toll on my track season in the spring. Luckily, this weekend I received a visit from my fellow teammates Nellie and Katie O! While the rest of Loyola was enjoying fells fest this weekend, drinking bad American beer and peeing in port-a-potties (if you were so lucky), Amsterdam was invaded by Loyola. Nellie and Katie brought along fellow Loyola Belgiumers while Loyola New Castlers were also represented.

the beer bike
On Saturday morning us track girls woke up (after eating what a cross country team would call breakfast) and decided to do some cross training. Amsterdam cross training. To show them the city (as well as the 15 other Loyolaers visiting) we all went for a tour on one big bike. To make sure we weren't dehydrated, we brought along a keg of Heineken. Officially known as the beer bike, we roamed the streets of Amsterdam for two hours nearly avoiding trams and cars and sinning loudly as we pedaled. Because we’re division one athletes we're extremely competitive and played some intense flip cup along the way. By the end of the two hours we successfully made it back without any casualties and thanked Yan, our driver.

Loyola invades Amsterdam...woof
The rest of the weekend was spent doing rather touristy things. We walked around the outside markets, had a picnic in Vondel Park, and eventually it was time to say goodbye. Seeing the girls this weekend made me realize how much I miss Loyola, especially the team, but also reminded me how fortunate I am to actually be LIVING in Europe, yet alone Amsterdam. The rest of this month is going to crazy. Next weekend I go to Prague, and then my two-week break begins where I’ll be traveling to Dublin, Copenhagen, Vienna, and Budapest! 

No comments:

Post a Comment